Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 1 hour or less, Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 or 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- 2 (16-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped, or 1 level tablespoon dried basil
Before getting started
A good meat sauce doesn't have to cook all day. In fact, tomato-based recipes can develop a bitterness the longer they cook. Momma's meat sauce is ready to enjoy in less than an hour!
Sauté onion, garlic, celery, and carrot in hot oil, until tender and translucent. Add beef and sausage. Cook until golden brown. Add tomato sauce, paste and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste only after sauce is cooked.
Tip: To store sauce in Tupperware or freezer container, spray first with nonstick cooking oil to avoid staining the container.