Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups port wine
- 4 cups diced day-old bread
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chicken or turkey stock
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 325°F on Convection Bake. Grease a 6-cup baking dish.
In a large sauté pan or skillet, melt the butter over high heat and sauté the onion until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, about 4 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and let cool.
Add the bread and wild rice to the cooled onion mixture and mix well. Add the eggs and mix well. Add enough of the stock to moisten the bread well. Stir in the herbs, hazelnuts, salt and pepper. Make a small patty and cook in a little oil in a small sauté pan or skillet until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Taste, and then adjust the seasoning of the uncooked stuffing if necessary.
Spread the stuffing in the prepared baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover and serve hot.