Spaghetti With Tomato And Olive
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Yield 4 servings
Real comfort food. Spaghetti tossed with nothing but oven roasted tomato sauce, white raisins and cracked green olives. A perfect flavor punch/combination of slightly sweet/sour that works like magic. Or as the Italians would say ~ Agra Dolce!
ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
- 2 pounds ripe plumb tomatoes - cut in half
- 5 peeled garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 4 tsp fresh thyme (marjoram, oregano, rosemary or all, may be added as well)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 lb pasta
- 3/4 cup white raisins
- 1 cup cracked olives (lay olives down and press firmly with large knife so they split - remove pit)
- Optional - additional extra virgin olive oil for richness
- Optional - one packet splenda or 1 tsp raw sugar for balance
- Optional - top with grated parmesean cheese
- Optional - 1.5 lbs sweet or hot Italian sausage - pinched into quarter sized disks and pan seared with extra virgin oil oil until cooked through
Roasted Tomato Sauce: Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl, then spread onto a baking sheet. Place in a preheated 375 degree oven until everything is caramelized or about 40 minutes. The tomatoes should lose about 1/3 of their volume overall. Remove from oven and return to large mixing blow. Using stick or hand blender, puree mixture until relatively smooth. Check seasoning, add salt and pepper as needed. Add 3/4 cup of white raisins for added sweetness (Sicilian style) and 1 cup cracked olives. Add additional extra virgin oil if desired for richness. Splenda or raw sugar may be added for balance. The sauce can also be fortified sautéing ground sweet or hot Italian sausage and combining it with the puree. Hearty and delicious.
Cook pasta according to instructions on box/bag. Do not overcook the pasta, this should be toothy and have structure so it stands up to the sauce. Toss with roasted tomato sauce.